Mediterranean Chicken Skewers with Creamy Tzatziki Dip
Servings: Makes 36 skewers
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Who doesn’t love a juicy, spicy shawarma with cool and creamy yogurt tzatziki? No need to hit up the local Mediterranean street vendor — these chicken skewers check all the boxes and are perfect for party platters. The skewers roast at once right in the oven, and lining the pan with parchment paper makes cleanup a snap. Serve them with pita (cut into triangles for serving), giardiniera pickles and french fries.
Juice of 2 lemons
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
2 tsp paprika
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp Aleppo pepper flakes or cayenne
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1” cubes
2 small red onions, peeled and cut into eighths
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, dill, and/or mint
1 English cucumber, grated or finely chopped (you can use a regular cucumber, just peel and seed it first)
2 tsp sea salt, divided
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp olive oil
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
¼ tsp black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients except the chicken, onions, and herbs. Mix in the chicken and onions and marinate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400o and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Using cocktail picks, skewer one piece of chicken, a piece of onion, then another piece of chicken. Repeat for all the chicken — you should end up with around 36 skewers.
- Spoon any remaining marinade over the chicken, then roast for 15-18 minutes, flipping the skewers halfway through cooking. Arrange on a platter, leaving room for the bowl of tzatziki dip. Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the top.
- Mix the cucumber with 1 tsp of the salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Strain off the cucumber water in a fine-mesh sieve, gently pressing with the back of a spoon to get the juice out.
- Combine the cucumber with the remaining ingredients, and adjust seasoning to taste. Scoop the tzatziki into a serving bowl and set it on the serving tray with the chicken skewers.
Recipe and photo by Heather Arndt Anderson at voodooandsauce.com