Celebrate 20 Years of Milk
March 28 to October 7, 2017
You’re invited to join a celebration 20 years in the making – it’s the anniversary of milk becoming Oregon’s Official State Beverage.
It all started as a class project for Bruce Cardin’s sixth grade class in Tillamook. His students felt strongly that milk should be Oregon’s state beverage. They traveled to Salem and testified in support of the designation, and Senate Joint Resolution 8 became official in April 1997.
In commemoration of this anniversary, Governor Kate Brown designated April 2017 as Oregon Milk Month. It headlines our “Year of Milk” series of events and observances that will continue through October 7:
- March 28 – Dairy Day at the Capitol, Toast to Milk event
- March to June – Ag in the Classroom’s Literacy Project about milk
- April – celebrate Oregon Milk Month
- April 13 – 20th Anniversary of Milk becoming Oregon’s official state beverage
- April 17 – Milk Builds Strong Schools event
- April 29 and 30 – Oregon Ag Fest
- June – World Milk Day and June Dairy Month
- June 24 – Tillamook Dairy Festival and Parade
- June 25 – Milk Carton Boat Race
- July – National Ice Cream Month
- August 25 to September 4 – Oregon State Fair
- September – Hunger Action Month, Great American Milk Drive
- October 7 – Dairy Princess Ambassadors at Oregon’s Bounty
We’ll also have a series of farm tours, school assemblies, stories, special events with Dairy Princess Ambassadors, and so much more. Let us know if you’ll have any celebrations of your own at firstname.lastname@example.org!
On behalf of Oregon’s 228 dairy farm families, 29 dairy food processors and 126,000 cows, thank you for your support of Oregon’s locally-produced, high quality, delicious and nutritious milk and dairy foods.
Spread the word that milk is the state beverage by using the logo in your social media, print, emails, and websites.