From farm-to-table, in Oregon and across the U.S., the dairy community is committed to nourishing people while minimizing impacts to the environment and preserving natural resources.
Dairy is a nutritious and affordable choice that fuels overall wellness.
- Dairy foods are linked to health benefits like reduced inflammation, improved digestive health and healthy immune systems. Read more about the Health Benefits of Dairy.
- The 2020-25 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recognizes that dairy foods play an important role in healthy eating patterns from infancy through adulthood. Find out how Dairy Foods Help People Thrive Accross the Lifespan.
- Milk is a nutrient powerhouse with 13 essential nutrients. Check out more Milk Facts.
Dairy is committed to being an environmental solution – raising the bar on social and environmental responsibility.
- U.S. dairy was the first agricultural sector to commission a life cycle assessment on fluid milk, which showed that dairy accounts for just 2% of total GHG emissions in the U.S. Read more about Dairy Sustainability.
- In 2020, U.S. dairy set aggressive new environmental sustainability goals to achieve carbon neutrality or better, optimize water usage and improve water quality by 2050.
- Cows come first on dairy farms. The comfort, feeding and care for their animals is a dairy farmer’s top concern. Read more about Animal Care on Oregon Farms.
- Everyday 306 million pounds of food by-products are kept out of landfills thanks to dairy cows’ unique ability to upcyle. Find out why we think cows are nutrition superheros.
- Two Oregon dairy farms and one dairy co-op have received national recognition for their sustainability. Learn about award winning dairy in Oregon.
- See for yourself. Take a virtual tour of a dairy farm in Oregon to see sustainability in action. Learn more about sustainable farming straight from the farmers.
Dairy contributes to strong, thriving communities and is accessible to all.
- Dairy farmers are proud members of America’s essential workforce.
- The dairy community is working hard to ensure every child has access to nutrient-rich foods, including dairy foods, to help them grow, learn and thrive. Read about school breakfast and child nutrition programs in Oregon.
- Each year, farmers and dairy companies work with local food banks to deliver nutritious dairy foods to those in need, providing 469 million pounds of dairy- including milk, cheese and yogurt – to Feeding America in 2020 alone. Find out more about how farmers fight Hunger.
Looking for more information on how dairy nourishes people while responsibly caring for our planet and animals? Join the Dairy Nourishes Network.
Members of the network receive the latest dairy research, resources and recipes, as well as opportunities for free continuing education.